Skip to header

Suggest changes to: Blair, Andrew Dougall, 1872-1955

Suggest a new title:

Add Formatting
Andrew Dougall Blair (1872 - 1955)

Table of Contents.

  • The New New Zealanders (John and Martha Blair of Dunedin)
  • Dunedin during Andrew's childhood
  • Off to sea at 17
  • Shipwrecked off the West African Coast
  • The Order of Medjidie in the Middle East
  • Italo-Turkish War of September 1911 to October 1912
  • Early in World War I
  • The ship carpenter's daughter
  • Ireland's Easter Rising
  • Into the Special Service (Q17 - an early Mystery Ship)
  • Letters with W.E. Sanders V.C. D.S.O
  • The post-war occupation of the Rhineland
  • Trading in the Middle East
  • Leo the pet lion
  • Later years and retirement

    The New New Zealanders (A.D Blair's family background)

    Andrew Dougall Blair was born into an immigrant family of moderate means in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand in 1872. His father, John Blair (1836-1922) was a native of Scotland (Alloa in Clackmannanshire between Edinburgh and Glasgow) who came to New Zealand aboard the “Dunedin” in 1855. His mother was Martha Dougall (1841 - 1933) who like John had emigrated from Scotland (Glasgow), a little later aboard the Pladda (1862).

    They married in 22 February 1865, bought land in the Kaikorai region and lived in the adjacent Wakari Flagstaff area. John was "a former farmer and later the first schoolmaster at Walton Park Fairfield Dunedin" (Martha's obituary).

    In 1889 he published a book of poems Lays of the Old Identities: and other pieces suitable for recitations and readings. Considered one of the early arrivals, or "Old Identities" in early New Zealand English, he was included in the Otago Witness feature below.

    Biographical Sketches of the Colonists of the First Decade (March 17 1898).

      Blair, John, Green Island and Owaka, served his time as a bookseller in Edinburgh, and came out in the Dunedin 1855, making a passage of 79 days. He bought land at Kaikorai. Published a book of poems "The Lays of the Old Identities," and was a frequent contributor to the Witness poetry columns. M.P.C. for Green Island 1864. Took to teaching for 16 years, and on retiring bought a second property at Owaka. Has been elder, member of Road Board, school committee and volunteers, and is president of different clubs at Catlins. He is still hale and hearty. (Otago Witness, March 17 1898)

    Sailing ship Dunedin, Port Chalmers, Dunedin.

    De Maus, David Alexander, 1847-1925
    Shipping negatives. Ref: 1/2-012699-G.

    Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand.

    Dunedin during A.D. Blair's childhood

    At the time of Andrew's birth, Dunedin was just 22 years old, and 11 years into the gold rush that would see a tenfold increase in its population. Between the ages of six and nine, this was New Zealand's largest urban centre. During these childhood years the city built:

  • The Otago Museum (1876-1877)
  • The University of Otago (1878)
  • Council Chambers (1878-1880)
  • St Joseph's Catholic Cathedral (1886)
  • First Presbyterian Church (1873)
  • Knox Presbyterian Church (1876)
  • Otago Boys High (1884)
  • Trinity Methodist Church (1870) and
  • The Dunedin Public Art Gallery (1884)

    Source: Te Ara

    John and Martha Blair raised their family in prosperous, hopeful times within a thriving city of newcomers and immigrants starting not just new lives but a new city, even a new country. The changes in Dunedin over John and Martha's lifetime were enormous. From his poem “Otago's Olden Times”:

      I remember, I remember
      When no carriage plied the street,
      When the choice was either horseback,
      The bullock dray or feet;
      When the roads were calling loudly
      For such as General Wade,
      And the dray, and even bullock,
      Were dug out with the spade

      (Verse 6)
      (Lays of the Old Identities. 1889. Dunedin)

    Off to sea at 17

    At just 17 years, Andrew Blair went to sea, entering into a four-year Covenant of Indenture with Peter James Hughes of Dunedin. Mr. Hughes was a servant of Henry Guthrie, the registered ship owner of the Barque Laira, pictured sunk beside the Dunedin wharf due to a collision with S.S. WAKATIPU in 1898.

    State Library, Victoria

    The Covenant of Indenture was handwritten, signed and witnessed on 14 January 1889.

    "In 1891 the Laira had an exciting race with the Glasgow barque Oban Bay. Both boats were lying at Oamaru, loaded with wool, and ready to sail for London. A challenge was thrown out by the Laira, and quickly taken up by everyone on board the Oban, even the youngest apprentice having his "bit" on" (White Wings Vol I. Fifty Years Of Sail In The New Zealand Trade, 1850 to 1900). During the race heavy conditions damaged the Laira's topmast which was replaced after the unlikely discovery of a perfectly sized, barnacle encrusted pitch-pine log floating at sea. The race is recounted in detail my Mr. A. G. Goulding, crew member aboard the Laira and can be read online here.

    At the very close of Andrew's indenture period, on September 1 1892, Peter James Hughes was killed in Perth when a load of falling timber crushed him. The Laira had arrived from Hobart where the ship needed extensive repairs after enduring extreme weather (Auckland Star, Volume XXIII, Issue 211, 5 September 1892, Page 3). Both the ship's owner and her master were obliged to add to the Covenant a sworn statement affirming that Blair had completed the full term of his Indenture under Gordon MacKinnon, the ship's master and later captain.

    Basic training complete, he went on to get his Certificate of Competency in April 1897. Five years later he had mixed results, failing a Navigation Certificate in January but gaining a Certificate of Competency as Master of a Foreign-going Ship, a Merchant Navy Master.

    Image made available by Jackie Brown, descendant of John and Marth Blair. Captain AD Blair in inset. Men from left to right are : John (Jack), John Blair senior, George, James (Jim). Women from left to right are: Martha, Florence, Martha Blair (seated), Mary, Jessie.

    Blair joined his mother Martha who was visiting Scotland in July 1900. Martha met with the Presbyterian community and no doubt spoke of her daughter Jessie Blair, who had the year before begun missionary work in India. Unknown to either Martha or Andrew, Jessie was gravely ill with Typhoid and would die in October that year. Martha "got the news of her death while returning from Glasgow on the SS Perthshire, on which her son, Jessie's brother John, was an engineer" (Jackie Brown's private blog accessed 2013 10) . An album of that holiday was gifted to Martha by her niece. In September of 1903 Andrew gained his Certificate in Competency as Master of Square Rigged Vessel.

    Blair worked for the Clan Line, a growing line of steamers which would soon become the dominant company carrying passengers and cargo around the Persian Gulf and North America. This likely included commanding ships in and out of Aden, something he first began in 1906 and finished in 1928 (Otago Daily Times obituary). In 1907 he is photographed with a cousin at the launching of the Lusitania in Glasgow. The Lusitania was launched by the Cunard Line and probably represented the competition to Clan Line in an already overcrowded North Atlantic trade.


    In 1908 at the age of 36, Blair crewed aboard the two year old refrigerated steamer Star of Japan, which was on route from London to Australia and then New Zealand. The Steamer ran aground off the West African Coast and the majority of the crew rescued by passing ships. Blair and a few others stood by the ship to support the Captain, Mate, and Chief Engineer as it gradually founded on rocks. The account made the papers (Poverty Bay Herald, 1908, May 30) and a later report of the incident resulted in the Captain being disciplined.

    Order of Mejidie

    In July 1911, Blair in assisting the struggling Ottoman Empire during it's fading years was awarded the Order of Medjidie (4th Class), one of the last of the 3000 to ever receive it. It was not the only time he would be caught up in the Empire's death throes. The Poverty Bay Herald recalled the event the following year.

      "Captain A. D. Blair, son of Mr John Blair, Abbotsford, has received from the Turkish Government the decoration of the fourth order of Medjidie. The order was instituted in 1852, and conferred after the Crimean war to a considerable extent on British officers. The service rendered by Captain Blair was the following: On July last he took in his ship 1000 Turkish troops with guns, etc, from Kamaran to a place called Loheiza, which was surrounded by Bedouins, who had captured the wells, and the Turkish, garrison were dying with thirst. Captain Blair happened to have 100 tons of fresh water ballast in his tanks and with the aid of the condenser augmented this supply, which he landed with the reinforcements. For five days he supplied the troops with water, when the wells were recaptured, and thus earned the gratitude of the Turks."

    Poverty Bay Herald Volume xxxix, issue 12708, 11 March 1912, p2.

    Italo-Turkish War of September 1911 to October 1912

    Before WWI Italy had aspirations to expand its then Kingdom into an empire. Perceiving the Ottoman Empire to be weak, it captured the northern Libyan provinces under Ottoman control and during the conflict annihilated the Ottoman Navy. This conflict was a significant contributor to the rise of nationalism in the Balkan States. Read more about the conflict here.

    It was inevitable that Blair, who was operating commercially in the region, would be caught up in the conflict at some point. A small newspaper clipping within Blair's photo album reads:

      "The Tripoli War, British Steamer Seized by Italians".

      The Italian destroyer Granatiere, after a hard chase, has overtaken the British steamer Tuna, trading in the Gulf of Aden, 15 miles north of Perim, and has taken her back for inspection to Sheikh Said. The Woodcock, bound from Aden for Hodeidah, has been detained by the Italians."

    The same album shows images of Blair aboard his Steamer in the Red Sea with notes on the reverse of each photo such as "Italian cruiser on board Tuna with search party capture the Tuna running contraband for the Turks” (top left image) and “Italian Destroyer i??? ?? returning after boarding Tuna” (top centre). Family lore had it that Blair spent part of his life as a gun runner around the Middle East. Perhaps during this period he was assisting the Ottoman Empire by transporting munitions for its troops under the noses of the Italians?

    Early World War I

    Months after the outbreak of war in 1914 Blair signed up for service and was commissioned at the rank of Lieutenant (December 10). By this time he was already 41 years old, a decorated and seasoned Merchant Navy captain experienced with tall sailing ships as well as the modern steam engines of the era. This breadth of experience would later stand him in good stead for a covert form of resistance needed to counter the threat of modern submarine warfare. His first order of business, however, was to serve as Lieutenant aboard H.M.S. Defiance, a torpedo and wireless school ship. After going through the sweeping course he was appointed leader of a unit of six patrol trawlers, including the Trawlers "Urania" and "Pearl" based at Pembroke Dock, Milford Haven in the SW part of England. He led the unit from January 1915 to October 1916. At the conclusion of this service Vice Admiral Charles H. Dare wrote that he had "conducted himself to my satisfaction - a zealous & efficient officer as leader of a unit of trawlers". Towards the end of this period the Royal Navy captured the German ship Aud which was smuggling munitions to support the Irish Volunteers who were about to attempt an overthrow of British rule in Ireland.

    But it wasn't all smooth sailing for Blair. In March on 1915 he was reprimanded for grounding "Urania" and warned by the Commander in Chief to be more careful (Military Record). On June the 28th he was reported to be suffering from acute alcoholism and temporarily discharged from the R.N.R. for misconduct. His commission was returned to him in September, either before of after his marriage to Lillian Harvey.

    Marriage 5 September 1915

    Blair, now almost 43 years of age married the 20 year old daughter of ship's carpenter John Henry Harvey in September of 2015, the same month his commission was returned. Whether this marriage contributed to him 'sorting himself out' is unknow. Lillian Patricia Edith Harvey was, according to their marriage certificate, residing at 249 Cherrywood Road Bordesley Green in Birmingham. Blair was living in temporary accommodation at the Imperial Hotel Birmingham. Curiously he records his age as 40 on the marriage certificate and although Lillian claims to be 20, family lore has her as young as 17 years of age. The marriage, sadly, was not to last.

    After the war his daughter Dorothy Jessie Blair was born (1922) and she was we think the third child of theirs. Dorothy was my maternal grandmother (at right of photo) and the only child of Andrew and Lillian that would survive. Family lore has it that he took Dorothy away from Lillian and had his sister, raise her in New Zealand for fear she wouldn't survive either. Information from other descendants indicate this was Florence (Flossie) who had married Will Sproat (first Headmaster of Dunedin North Intermediate) and had a daughter (Joyce). Shipping records confirm that Blair left from London aboard Beltana with his 6 year old daughter Dorothy for NZ in 1928. They did get off in Sydney and must have completed the trip later. 

    In November of 1915 according to his Military Record, he is in command again, this time the Trawler Grand Duke, as leader of Unit 114 VA Old Milford).

    The Irish Easter Rising of April 1916

    On April 24, 1916, 12, 000 Irish volunteers and Citizen Army members attempted to take over key locations in Dublin from British rule in order to effect an overthrow. The rebels failed to secure Dublin Port or (the then) Kingstown Port, and as a result the British were able to pour in the troops required to quell what became known as the Easter Rising. What Blair did during this time warranted commendation from Vice Admiral Charles H. Dare for "the arrangements he made to defend the town and munition factory during the Sinn Fein rising" (from a newspaper fragment within an envelope attached to A.D Blair's photograph album). According to A History of the Irish Rebellion by Wells and Marlow (1916), on the 27th of April, as soon as troops became available, a detachment was sent by sea from Kingstown south to the port of Arklow to reinforce the garrison at Kynoch's Explosive Works. Blair's Military Record shows that he "carried out charge of naval operations for protection of Arklow during Irish Rebellion with marked ability & promptitude". Vice Admiral of Old Milford Naval Base noted “I have a very high opinion of this Officer”.

    Letters written around the time of the Easter Rising (1 November 1915 – 31 October 1916) have been collected by the Trinity College in Dublin

    A few months after the Easter Rising, Blair was transferred into the Special Service and aboard "Sabrina II" (June/July 1916) preparing to take command of Helgoland.

    WWI Special Service - Q ship or Mystery ship operations.

    Since 1914 Germany had been using submarines to attack naval ships as well as merchant vessels, the later according to agreed Cruiser Rules, but in February of 1915 it declared the seas around the British Isles a war zone and allied ships in the area could be sunk without warning. Even when armed, commercial vessels had little chance of a good defense.

    To see an interactive map showing u-boat sinkings of ships,

    The Lusitania , whose launching Blair had attended back in 1907 was sunk off the coast of Ireland in 1915 by U-20 with the loss of 1,959 passengers. The British response to this kind sort of submarine menace is described by Vice- Admiral Gordon Campbell, VC, DSO in his book My Mystery Ships.

    "The idea was therefore conceived of fitting merchant ships as men-of-war, with a specially trained crew aboard and a concealed armament strong enough to destroy a submarine if encountered. To all intents and purposes they would look like ordinary innocent merchant ships, and would therefore entice the submarine to them.

    This class of ship went under various titles. Their real function was decoying, and the proper title would, therefore, appear to be " decoy ships," but it was not secret enough. The Admiralty in the early days referred to them as "special service vessels," and the ships themselves were known in the dockyards and so on as S.S.-- The fact that a number of people in and about the dock-yards and naval ports knew that the Master of S.S. -- was a naval officer, that special guns and gadgets were being fitted, and that no one except on duty was allowed on board, naturally gave ground for them being referred to as "Mystery Ships," and I don't think for quite a long while that many people knew what duty these vessels were really employed on, although of course some must have suspected. Towards the latter part of 1916 the Admiralty gave them all "Q" numbers, and they became Q-ships." (My Mystery Ships - Vice- Admiral Gordon Campbell, VC, DSO).

    Eighteen months after the sinking of the Lusitania by U-20 Blair began preparations to be one of the first Q-ship operators of the First World War. Built in 1895 by Martenshoek of Holland, the "Helgoland", (also known throughout her life as "Horley/Harley" "Brig 10", and "Q-17") measured 122.75 x 23.25 x 8 ft., and grossed 310 tons. He took over the ship and sailed her to Falmouth where he oversaw her refit for work as a Q-ship. Lieutenant Sanders later joined him in Falmouth. She had no engine and no wireless.

    More about the pre and post war life of Q17 can be read here.

    Now in his mid-40s, Blair was a man comfortable with both the modern steam-driven ships and the older square-rigged sailing ships. Younger men of his time were less likely to have had such a breadth of experience, although it was still widely held that the best seamen were those trained under sail. Nine years Blair's junior, Sanders had begun his career with steams-ships but prior to the war had worked for Craig Line under sail and gained his mate's certificates. Together they were the right men for the silent wind driven Q-ships designed to lure to the surface German submarines looking for an easy kill. After serving together Blair and Sanders corresponded until Sanders was killed in action on August 13, 1917. He had been awarded but not yet received the Victoria Cross, and had written to Blair after hearing the news just 21 days before his death. He never personally received the Victoria Cross.

    Speaking in Auckland at the beginning of his retirement, Blair recounted his time in command of Q17. A journalist present wrote up the evening's stories and that article was found folded within an envelope attached to the photograph album that has been handed down through the family. The clipping does not reveal the paper or the author. On September 7 1916, 17 Ships were attacked by U boats, and 15 sunk. UB39 alone sunk British steamer Heathdene, French sailing vessels Alcyon and Marguerite, and Italian steamer Messicano all within the vicinity of the account below (between the SW tip of France and the South of England).

    Newspaper article begins





      A wartime story of how a British mystery ship lay becalmed while three enemy submarines pounded her with shells was told yesterday by Captain A.D. Blair, of Dunedin, who is visiting Auckland. The ship was the brigantine Heligoland and Captain Blair, then a lieutenant in the Royal Naval Reserve, was in command. His navigator was the late Lieutenant Commander W. E. Sanders, the Aucklander who subsequently won the Victoria Cross and whose exploits when in charge of the mystery ship Prize won him undying fame.

      Captain Blair said he took over the Helgoland at Liverpool about the middle of 1916. The ship was a brigantine of about 200 tons. She carried no engines or wireless. They proceeded to Falmouth, where the vessel was fitted for its work as a Q-ship. It was at Falmouth the Lieutenant Sanders joined her, and the two New Zealanders met for the first time in unusual circumstances. Beside being the navigator Lieutenant Sanders was in charge of the forward guns.

      Hidden Armaments

      All the ship’s armaments were concealed so that she looked like a little inoffensive sailing ship. In a deckhouse aft, which had been in the captain’s quarters, were hidden two 12-pounder guns mounted and ready for use. Access was gained through a trapdoor in the floor. When the need arose bolts on the inside were drawn by hand and the sides of the deckhouse fell away, leaving the guns exposed for instant action.

      In each bow was small deckhouse containing a concealed 12-pounder gun, making four in all of guns of this calibre. In addition two machine-guns were carried as well as rifles for the crew. The complement was two officers and 25 men, but in the daytime only four men at a time were allowed on deck, this being the normal number to work a watch on a ship of this size. to have had a large number of men visible at one time would have been to invite suspicion.

      The first trip out was an eventful one, said Captain Blair. On September 7, 1916, the Helgoland found herself becalmed 10 miles south of Lizard. She had not even steerage way. About one o’clock in the afternoon a submarine was sighted on surface abaft the beam on the starboarrd side. It started to draw near, opening fire as it came. One of the first shots carried away the Helgoland’s ensign halyards whereupon one of the men got another ensign and climbed with it to the cross trees where he made it fast.

      Q-Ship Opens Fire

      When the submarine drew closer the screens round the Helgoland's hidden guns were lowered and the brigantine, her identity revealed, answered shot for shot. The man in the crosstrees asked permission to stay where he was to spot for the gunners, and in this exposed position he remained. Then, while the combat was proceeding, he reported the presence of another submarine on the port beam and a drifter astern. The second submarine soon opened fire.

      A shot from the Q-boat appeared to strike the gun pedestal of the submarine to starboard, for a moment after it had burst this gun jerked upwards and there was no sign of the crew. The man in the cross-trees then called out that the drifter was in reality a third submarine disguised with a sail. The damaged submarine was seen to dive, and was followed, shortly afterwards by the submarine to port.

      Then the submarine astern opened fire, and when the Helgoland tried to reply it was found that the after guns would not bear round far enough, owing to part of the deckhouse structure being immovable. The ship could not be manoeuvred as she was lying without a breath of wind in her sails. Axes were brought into play and the obstructing wall was chopped down. Even then the guns could not be trained in properly because of the wheel aft. After firing a number of rounds, however, the third submarine submerged.

      Fright For Ship's Dog

      The whole action had lasted for more than two hours. Four of the Helgoland's yards were shot away, but none of the complement was killed or wounded. The only "casualty” was the ship’s dog, which happened to be passing the after deckhouse when the screens fell. The bump which he received out of the blue gave him such a severe fright that when the ship reached port he bolted ashore and was never seen again.

      For the rest of the day the brigantine lay where she was, her crew alert at the machine-guns and expecting every moment that the attack would be renewed. Night fell and the ship was shrouded in black darkness. Then the sound of a motor was heard passing along the port side. Slowly it passed astern and then turned and completed the circle, proceeding along the starboard side. A momentary glimpse of a submarine was seen, probably one of the three encountered in the afternoon. Then it disappeared.

      Later a patrol trawler came along. Captain Blair hailed it and explained his predicament. Just as the trawler had passed abeam to port the wake of a torpedo appeared out of the night, but the torpedo missed the trawler and passed beneath the Q-ship. Lieutenant Sanders sprang to the port gun and fired in the direction from which the torpedo had come, but without visual result.

      Second Torpedo

      The trawler turned and came alongside to starboard, and just then a second torpedo passed under the Helgoland. A line was made fast to the trawler and the Q-ship was towed into Falmouth, where she arrived at 5 o'clock the next morning.

      The following communication was received by Captain Blair from the vice-admiral in charge at Milford Haven:—

      "I am commanded by the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty to convey to Lieutenant A. D. Blair, R.N.R., and the officers and men under his orders their lordships' appreciation of their endeavour to sink three enemy submarines on September 7, in spite of the disadvantage at which the Helgoland was placed owing to her being becalmed. The steadiness of the crew, which had only recently been commissioned, is particularly to be commended.”

      The following message also was received:--" Commander-in-Chief, Plymouth, heartily congratulates officers and men of Helgoland on the gallant action with three enemy submarines.”

      Newspaper article ends

    The article above is likely to be accurate as it is a retelling of the event by someone who heard about it from its source (Blair). There is however another telling from secondary sources in the book Q-ships and their story (1922) by Chatterton, E. Keble (Edward Keble), 1878-1944. Chatterton though gleaning many stories from primary sources has in the case of Q17, not heard from Blair directly. Perhaps this is Chatterton telling Sanders' or another person's version? Or perhaps it has not come from primary sources at all.

    In 1930 Blair received a 1923 second edition of Chatterton's book inscribed on the opening page "from his old shipmate R.B. Galloway" . This book has numerous notes in the margins where Blair has corrected errors.

    Where Chatterton writes:
      “Under the command of Lieutenant W.E Sanders”

    Blair has noted in the margins
      “Sub-Lieut W.E. Sanders was Navigator. Blair was in command and Gunnery Officer at Action Stations. Sanders was in charge of the 2 Ford 12 Pounders”.

    Where Chatterton writes:
      “However after the second shot from the submarine the Helgolands guns could just bear so Lieutenant Blair dropped his screens and opened fire whilst still there was a chance”,

    Blair has underlined “second” and noted:
      “4th Shot being not in 3 different plains”.

    Where Chatterton writes:
      “Blair then sent two of his hands aloft”

    at the bottom of the page AD Blair writes:
      “ Only One hand (Skipper Smith) was sent aloft with the ensign to make fast to the Backstay above the crosstrees as the halyards had been shot away. At that time there was no necessity to send anyone aloft to look for periscopes as two submarines were visible on the surface. Skipper Smith after lashing the ensign to the backstay asked permission to remain and spot the shots (some nerve)”.

    On page 62 Chatterton writes:
      “Nothing further happened until half an hour later, when a larger submarine with sail set, about the size of a drifter’s mizzen, was sighted right aft.”

    Blair has underlined Larger Submarine and written:
      “We chopped the after part of the wooden deck house out with axes & crowbars to get a gun to bear on this fellow” “We fished the … topsail yard first’ “Sanders fired two rounds from Port Fwd 12 Pdrs in the direction the torpedos were seen to come from. But we ….. to chase the submarine away.

    Blair's Military Record records the September 7 action and notes that “Appreciation of endeavors made to sink these submarines (was) expressed”. By October (18th) he was in "Command of Armed Trawler (Colleen?) in Area XXI" during which he was possibly involved in the location, recovery and dismantling of German Mines. The handwriting in his Military Record is identical to an undated entry reading "received expression of T.L. satisfaction at bravery displayed in recovery & dismantling German mine".

    The following month Blair is in trouble again, this time being tried, proved and sentenced to be reprimanded by court marshal for "hazarding (the) Trawler Freesia" (November 1916, Military Record ). In December 12 he is given orders for duty ashore at Naval Base Lowestoft via the Halcyon and in April 27 of 1917 he is now a Sub Lieut aboard Sunhill. Sunhill become a Royal Fleet Auxiliary accommodation ship early in the war (1915) and was used for a variety of purposes. Mercantile Ratings at Portsmouth sometimes stayed aboard her and there is at least one case of a deserter being held aboard. Blair's commission was cancelled in May (21) 1917 (Military Record) and later that year he has orders to relieve Victory (for disposal in August 1 and again in November 19). In mid August he also has orders aboard Vanessa II for Holyhead Naval Base.

    Letters from W.E. Sanders V.C. D.S.O

    Within Blair's photograph album was an envelope with newspaper clippings and two letters from Sanders. Portions of these letters are now missing.

    The first was written on April 29, 1917 in response to a request from Blair for a photograph. Sanders fatigue is plain to hear.

      H.M.S Q.21
      At Sea

      Dear Blair

      Many thanks for letter only received a few minutes before proceeding on this cruise so I am answering out here although we still have three weeks to go before returning.

      As regards that photograph I have not got the films but am sending you what prints I have already in hand.
      The old scow is still in commission and "Westmore" was relieved a few days ago by “Messenger” and has been returned to Devonport much to his satisfaction for the game is getting played out and so are we all too long at sea.
      I have been in command of this wagon since 8 February and when I met "Greensted" at Portsmouth was doing a 17 day submarine course and almost wish it had been longer for I like Portsmouth very much as a depot.
      (rest of letter missing)

    N.B. Personal communication with his great granddaughter reveals the Westmore mentioned, to be Henry George Gardiner Westmore, whose name in the following letter was removed by the censor in reference to a posting to the Naval Consul in Boston.

    The second letter was written on June 22 , 1917. Sanders had recently heard the Victoria Cross would be awarded him and is describing the other decorations won by mutual friends.

    Sanders would be sunk with the Prize just 21 days after writing this.

      Hamilton Club
      Milford Haven

      Dear Blair

      Thanks so much for letter received yesterday. Myself I am still in the Prize. Have had several scraps and sail again tomorrow for sea.
      On April 30th I was promoted to Lieut Comm and awarded the VC but so far has not been published but that may be at any minute now although as you understand secret.
      Since then have had another scrap and got wounded but am now A1. nothing serious.
      (mising 2 lines)
      ... is now Naval Consul in Boston U.S.A. quite a good job I should imagine.
      So far I have never understood why I never received anything when with Westmore but believe it was to keep me in the game in hopes of getting something.
      Wilkie finished with the Ledger(Lodger?) this day and he is going in charge of a Q steamer.
      Fulton I am pleased to say has been awarded the DSC and he honestly deserves it.
      Every man in my ship received a decoration the navigator DSO, both skippers DSC, and all the crew DSM as you can imagine it was some deed.
      We are all at the old club and having some as you will see by this in time and all
      (two lines missing)
      ... in the present must say Adieu trusting you are all well and with all kindest regards to Mrs. Blair and yourself.

      Yours sincerely
      W.E. Sanders

    The Post-War Occupation of the Rhineland

    Blair's Military Record show that in April (22) of 1918 he was "President [?] for staff of Principal Naval Transport Officer France for duty at Calais as Spl Grade [?] Transport Officer". As Principal Naval Transport Officer in this region he was a natural choice for the British Army of the Rhine's occupation in Germany.

    After the Armistice, British, French and Belgium forces occupied different parts of the German Rhineland. The British Army of the Rhine (BAOR) took control of Cologne. Initially set up in March 1919, BOAR was made up of five Corps and a Cavalry Division. For the early part of this Occupation, Blair was appointed Naval Transport Officer in Cologne.

    In a photograph album with images of Cologne, Germany in 1918 taken during or just prior to the Allied Occupation. One page is captioned “Scenes of Cologne 1918 while A.D.B. Naval Transport Officer”. Bottom left images identify A.D.B. within them. Of these the leftmost has on reverse “Military Officer and A.D.B. on steps of Cologne Cathedral 1918”. The smaller of these two has on reverse “ADB & Military landing officers on ?? ?? ?? ??? Behind are captured German guns ? I was in charge of the Le ??? Quay?”. Image top right includes street signs: “Duren, Personenz, Aachen”.. Many photographs have handwritten on reverse. “Cologne Germany 1918”. Top Left image has in addition “Front of Cathedral”.

    As he dates these photos 1918 and one image has him standing with Officers that resemble Sir Claud Jacob (commanded II Corps), Sir Alexander Godley (commanded IV Corps) and Sir Aylmer Haldane (commanded VI Corps), it is a possibility that this was a forward party just prior to the occupation.

    Trading in the Middle East - Leo the pet lion

    Blair took his discharge from military service in June 1920 and then made his way from England by way of the Morea to East Africa to take command of a steamer (probably the S.S Safari referred to in his photo album) owned by the company he had worked for prior to the war. He worked for A. Besse operating out of Aden.

    There are three photos within his photograph album captioned “A.D.B supervising building of “HALAL” for A. Besse of ADEN”. Two photos captioned “A.D.B’s pet lion ADEN”. And on one page in the bottom left is a postcard with reverse printed “TUCK’s POST CARD – Raphael Tuck & Sons HANDCOLLOTYPE” and addressed “Mrs J Blair, Abbotsford P.P Dunedin New Zealand” and “Lion I bought over for Benbera Imaland”. Photo of cub has on reverse “Leo 4 months old From Benbera to Aden. Capt Blair “Safari Trawler”.

    During this time he travelled throughout the Middle East and met many interesting people including the King of Arabia. Family lore has it that at one time he visited India and got horribly sick, losing all his hair. Also that he met many local people who had rubbed shoulders with Lawrence of Arabia. Leo the lion was eventually sold to a zoo somewhere, my mother used to say Chicago, but I can't say for sure exactly where.

    Other photographs within the album are captioned “Typical Bedouins” and on reverse handwritten “Typical Bedouins with (?) Eng???”. Centre photo on reverse “ADB ready to go ashore Nesdesa(Sp?)”. Group photograph at top right captioned “King of Arabia 3rd on right of A.D.B” and on reverse “Confida(sp?) Red Sea. (?) Generals & Officers & myself. Crown Prince 3rd from myself (with Saud). (?) King of Arabia”. Centre image captioned “A.D.B. with Mr & Mrs Besse, Aden” and on reverse “myself, Mrs Besse, Mr Besse & (?) (?). Photo bottom left captioned “A.D.B with Miss Viner” and on reverse “Myself & one of the typists in the busy office. El Ambor(sp?) in drydock behind us”. Bottom centre image handwritten on reverse “myself and Middleton in Zuila(sp?)”.

    In 1928 he finished commanding ships in and out of Aden, which he'd been doing on and off since 1906. It is at this stage that Blair took his only surviving daughter Dorothy Jessie Blair off Lillian and took her to New Zealand to be raised by his sister, Mary Gow.

    Later years and retirement

    Between 1928 and 1934, Blair was trading between Singapore and Christmas Island aboard the Islander. The 1938 census records his occupation as timekeeper in Wellington East. In 1946, 1949 and 1954 he is recorded as a pensioner, first in Nelson (1946) and then in Upper Hutt. In Nelson he stayed in a detached house with his brother. While in Upper Hutt he stayed with his daughter Dorothy and her family. My mother recalled as a child the neigbours ringing Dorothy to record Blair's progress home from the pub as she waited anxiously for him. She also said that Blair had sent many exotic gifts home to Dorothy while she was being raised in New Zealand, but that upon his retirement was frustrated to find no trace of these.

    In 1950 or 1951 he corresponded with his old employer Mr Antonin Besse of Aden and received a reply from Hilda, Antonin's wife. You can read that here.

    Captain Andrew Dougall Blair died on March 6, 1955. He was cremated in Karori and his ashes scattered. Three obituary clippings within his photograph album read as follows.

    Captain A.D. Blair
      The commanding officer of one of the Royal Navy's first mystery ships in World War I died recently at Upper Hutt. He was Captain A. D. Blair, a former resident of Nelson and a brother of Mr Geo. Blair of Ngaio Street, Stoke.

      Before joining the Royal Navy in 1914, Captain Blair was a merchant navy master. He first served as a lieutenant aboard H.M.S. Defiance. Later he rose to command one of the first mystery ships and had as a gunner Lieutenant W. E. Sanders of Auckland, who was to win the V.C. and D.S.O.

      Promoted to the rank of lieutenant commander, he led a flotilla of six patrol trawlers and was commended by the Admiralty for work against submarines.

      Captain Blair was also commended for his services in Ireland during the Sinn Fein rising. He was later awarded the 4th Order of Medghhigi from the Turkish Government for services during a Bedouin rising near the Persian Gulf.

      After the war Captain Blair returned to the merchant service and was master of a number of ships in the Middle East area. On his retirement some years ago he came to live for a time in Nelson.

    OBITUARY Captain A. D. Blair

      The death occurred recently of Cap­tain Andrew D. Blair, a sea captain of wide experience. At the time of his death Captain Blair was in hos­pital in Wellington. He was aged 82.

      He was awarded the Grand Order of Midjidi by the Sultan of Turkey for relieving a Turkish garrison be­sieged by the Arabs in the Turkish-Italian war of 1912. After serving with the Royal Naval Reserve for a time in World War I, Captain Blair transferred to Special Service and commanded a mystery ship, H.M.S. Heligoland. He received special men­tion from the Admiralty for sinking a U-boat.

      Captain Blair was the second son of the late Mr. John Blair, of Mount Pleasant. Dunedin. He is survived by his daughter, a brother and two sis­ters.

      BLAIR, Captain Andrew D., 53 Pine avenue, Upper Hutt.—On March 6 1955 aged 82 years; loved father of Mrs Dorothy Laurie, Upper Hutt. Loved son of the late John and Martha Blair, 'Abbotsford, and brother of George Blair, Stoke, (Mrs Gow, Hamilton) and (Mrs W. Sproat, Anderson's Bay).

    A fourth obituary from Otago (OTD) reads:

      A sea captain of wide and varied experience, Captain Andrew D. Blair has died, aged 82.

      Second son of the late Mr John Blair, Dunedin, Captain Blair commanded ships in and out of Aden from 1906 to 1928, and served in World War I. Before his retirement in 1934 he commanded the Islander trading between Singapore and Christmas Island.

      Blair's only surviving child was Dorothy Jessie Blair. Her two children were Julia (Julie) and Bruce Laurie. Julie was my (Harley Couper) mother.

    Researched and written by Harley Couper

    I am very grateful for the excellent help by Tauranga City Libraries Research Collections staff and in particular Stephanie Smith (for her paleography and editing skills), Debbie McCauley and Olive Stanyer (who located John Blair's book online) for their help and support. Thank you also to genealogist Heather McLean for help in locating and ordering certificates from the UK and to Jackie Brown, descendent of John and Martha Blair, for letting me read her private blog about Jessie Blair and for many other insights and research help into the Blair family. Finally a big thank you to my uncle, Bruce Laurie for donating a digital copy of A.D. Blair's album to Tauranga City Libraries.

    Article first created: 2013-09-18 01:29:40
    Article last updated: 2017-03-30 00:53:23

    Note: This articles was originally part of Tauranga City Library's 'Tauranga Memories' website. To your right, the 'Archived Kete Link', if present, will take you to a snapshot of the original record. Tauranga Memories was made up of several focus areas, called 'baskets'. This article was part of the Remembering War basket. It was first published under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License. There are, possibily, further details at the conclusion of the biography. Please note that articles on Tauranga Memories were often uploaded on behalf of a member of the public, meaning sometimes the author is misattributed to a library staff member. Please contact us if you this is the case for an article you authored.
  • Usage
    Personal Information
    Settler Information
    Military Service
    Additional comments / analysis
    If you would like to include some comments with this change request, please add them here. It's a good place to include your 'workings' for your proposed changes to assist us to verify and approve your information quickly.

    Blair, Andrew Dougall, 1872-1955
    loading google map....    07 577 7177    Tauranga City Libraries, 91 Willow Street, Tauranga, 3110, New Zealand