Mount Maunganui moments in history
Before Pae Korokī and Papers Past, the New Zealand Room librarians would note topics of interest in an alphabetised card catalogue, this is their selection of historic Mount Maunganui moments from the Bay of Plenty Times and other sources. Followed by a listing from Mount Maunganui clippings ringbinders they collated.
See also: Ams 487/6 Newspaper clippings scrapbooks: Mount Maunganui.
Chronological, then alphabetical listings:
CHRONOLOGICAL:
1880s
Land around Mauao, July 1880.
- Thomas Black published a notice that 'the mount called Maunganui, at entrance of Tauranga Harbour, and all adjoining lands' was purchased December 1839 by Captain Hart, paid in cash. 13 July 1880, p. 2.
- Letter to the Editor 'Mount Maunganui Lands' that Black's claims are false, and there was no alienation or cash paid. Rather the Crown have held the lands since 1864 confiscation, speaking with "the old and much-respected chief Hori Tupaea...who for more than half a century exercised undisputed mana over Tauranga lands up to the time of confiscation". 29 July 1880.
SS Katikati excursions to the Mount on Boxing day etc. 25 December 1883.
Hōri Ngātai assumes control over land at Maunganui. 16 June 1884.
Natural steam crater at the top of Mauao. Known of for many years, and 'always a warm glow to be felt in it', over the last few days of heavy weather, distinct columns of steam from the crater were visible, local Māori say it is a weather gauge. 6 September 1884, p. 2.
Captain Best, Harbourmaster, taking boat loads of willows to the Mount to be planted by him. 27 August 1885.
Councillor Horne moved that Mount Maunganui be proclaimed a Public Reserve under the Public Reserves Act and a Board of Trustees be appointed to manage it. 19 January 1886.
Steam Launch Result will ply between Tauranga and Mount Maunganui on Good Friday and Easter Monday. Fare one shilling each way. J. Bodell, Agent. 22 April 1886.
Government refusing to vest land in Borough Council under the Domain Act and to take the small portion of Māori Land from Hōri Ngātai as he would not sell it. 22 July 1886.
Concrete water tank erected. 15 February 1887.
Visitor accomodation editoral about need for more. 23 April 1887.
Reserve is to be handed over to the Borough. 1 June 1888.
Steamers. A gun will be fired at Ocean Beach fifteen minutes prior to steamers' return trips to Tauranga. The steamers' whistles will also be sounded. 6 November 1891.
1900s
Residential developments. Mount Maunganui springing up as a settlement in addition to the two pilot houses there are now five other buildings. Two new residences built for Mr Alex Turner at the Mount and Mr H. Lamb at the Caves Hopukiore (Mount Drury). 24 September 1906.
Adams acre to Allely. Mr J.C. Adams has sold one acre of land to Mr T.C. Allely who intends to immediately erect a house thereon. 28 December 1906.
First water carnival held at Mount on Boxing Day. Held under the auspices of the Tauranga Boating Club. 28 December 1906.
38 sections for sale. New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company. 21 October 1907. Not sold. 25 November 1907.
Boots Bros Boxing Day refreshments. Messrs Boots Bros intend to have a refreshment stall at the Mount on Boxing Day. 20 December 1907.
Copeland's new building. Mr J. Copeland has erected a house of three rooms at Mount Maunganui, one of the apartments (16 x 16) of which is to be used as a tea and refreshments room for the convenience of holiday makers. 27 December 1907.
Direct Pāpāmoa - Maunganui road, report by Captain Turner. 3 June 1908.
Mount Maunganui Community Cultural Society Arts Society formed. 3 November 1979.
ALPHABETICAL:
BRIGHTWWELL, Doug and Nora. Bay Sun, 6 June 1981.
CASCADES (The) - Apartments. Four level apartment offers great lifestyle. Bay of Plenty Times, 16 January 1999.
COLLIER, Megan. Inspired brushwork helps Megan surge. Bay of Plenty Times, 2 September 1999.
FERRIS, Jo. Reports on lifesaving scene take award win. Bay News, 1 September 1999.
GIRL GUIDES: See Bay of Plenty Girl Guides Association moments in history
GORDON, Joan. Librarian at Mount Maunganui for 9 years. Formed first public library. 34 years in the teaching profession. Mount News, 10 August 1972.
HOWARD, Captain. Tea rooms at Mount - Ocean Lodge. Before Griffiths. Was a busybody. Tried to put out the fire when Chum was camping. Police officer from Putāruru told him to keep away. In debt to Faulkner's Ferries. Chum Denniston.
JAYCEES:
- Chapter for women proposal. Sue Gardiner, a travel consultant, found her path to community service blocked as she was a woman, when trying to join established service clubs, while women's service clubs also had restrictive membership criteria. Bay of Plenty Times, 8 April 1982.
- First all-female Jaycee chapter in New Zealand is expected to be inaugurated with 12 weeks, and will be based at Mount Maunganui. Bay of Plenty Times, 16 April 1982.
KIMBER, Doug. Early resident leaves Mount. Mount News, 28 October 1976.
KIMBER, Isabella. Dies at Mount Maunganui aged 71. Bay of Plenty Times, 2 August 1950.
LLOYD, Kerriden:
- Scholarship for student. (Bayer Science Scholarship). Bay News, 1 December 1999.
- Mount student says Dad would have been proud. Bay of Plenty Times, 14 December 1999.
LOGAN, Tom. Kiwifruit Coast Life Guard Foundation. Bay of Plenty Times, 3 March 1988 [Ams 487/6, Scrapbook 6, p. 32].
MOUNT MAUNGANUI MAZE:
- Proposed business may puzzle clients. 5 November 1982, p. 1.
- Maze at Mount. Bay Sun, 11 December 1982. Ams 487/6, Scrapbook 1, p. 1.
- Maze entices holiday visitors. 30 December 1982, p. 7.
MOUNT MAUNGANUI MEALS ON WHEELS. Covenor, Elaine de Vaney, retires after 20 years. Mount and Pāpāmoa Times, 29 July 1993, p. 5.
MOUNT MAUNGANUI NETBALL CLUB. Home at last for netball club. Netballers have use of complex during winter. Official opening tomorrow of the new tennis and netball pavilion in Blake Park. Bay of Plenty Times, 31 July 1981.
MOUNT MAUNGANUI RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB. 50th anniversary. Rooms came quickly. Club bounced back in 1946 (after virtually folding up with the completion of the East Coast Railway in the 1920s). Photographs of current three executive officers, 1923 rugby team, 1959 Mount junior team, 1962 senior team. Bay of Plenty Times, 30 August 1973.
MOUNT MAUNGANUI TENNIS CLUB:
- Mount tennis has 60-year history. Bay of Plenty Times, 31 July 1981.
- Mount Maunganui Tennis / Netball Clubrooms. Opening Saturday August 1st. Exhibition matches commence. Joint effort brings success. Bay of Plenty Times, 31 July 1981.
STURGESS, Laurie. RSA stalwart passes away. Mount and Pāpāmoa Times, 27 August 1992, p. 17.
TOASTMASTERS CLUB. A new Toastmasters Club was officially formed in the Mount Maunganui area on 29 March. 2 April 1982.
TRASK, Bruce. Community Support - where it all began. Mount and Pāpāmoa Times, 17 February 1994, p. 19.
Baking from Flour - Eddie Matahaere used to work at a flour mill in Mount Maunganui includes photos. By Ken Forster. Unknown publication. N.D. See staff to view article.




