SummaryThe Carter-Vickery House stood near the intersection of Cameron Road and First Avenue, Tauranga. Believed to have been owned originally by Harry Vickery, it was the birthplace of the mother of Percy “Skip” Carter, who was a member of the Vickery family. P. G. McIntosh purchased the five-roomed kauri house from Frank Mullins in 1923. While removing wallpaper, McIntosh found newspapers dating from the 1860s pasted beneath it, indicating the building’s early origin. The kauri timbers were subsequently affected by woodworm. McIntosh sold the property in 1941. The house was demolished in 1963, when an account dated 1 November 1879, recording the carriage of two doors and two casks of wine, was uncovered. Iron remnants from the Vickery family’s former blacksmith shop were also found on the neighbouring corner section.SourcesDemolished Tauranga Home Gives up 100-year-old Secrets: Bay of Plenty Times, 17 October 1963.
Usage
Kaitiakitanga StatementWe ask that, in addition to normal copyright and privacy considerations, users of our heritage resources uphold the mana and dignity of the people, communities and places depicted within.CopyrightTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City LibrariesLicenseCC BY 4.0AcknowledgementTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City Libraries, Carter-Vickery House, c. 1860 (Place)
Te Ao Mārama - Tauranga City Libraries, Carter-Vickery House, c. 1860 (Place). Pae Korokī, accessed 11/08/2026, https://paekoroki.tauranga.govt.nz/nodes/view/111494