In November 1998 contractors began demolishing internal walls of Tauranga’s historic Post Office, transforming its maze of small rooms into a single open space as part of Grasshopper Properties’ redevelopment. Architect Denis Pocock reported the work was on schedule, with fireplaces uncovered during demolition and the building being prepared for replastering and modernization to meet safety standards.
118614
Postal Service and postal buildings: moments in history
Expand/collapse
Usage
Kaitiakitanga StatementWe ask that, in addition to normal copyright and privacy considerations, users of our heritage resources uphold the mana and dignity of the people, communities and places depicted within.CopyrightTe ao Mārama - Tauranga City LibrariesLicenseCC BY 4.0AcknowledgementTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City Libraries, The Old Post Office / Government Buildings: moments in history
Relates To
Admin
AuthorTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City LibrariesType of ContributionLibrary storyTaxonomyStories | Articles
Before Pae Korokī and Papers Past, the New Zealand Room librarians would note topics of interest in an alphabetised card catalogue and place photocopied newspaper articles in a vertical file collection. Below are some article reference s and summaries from the Bay of Plenty Times and other sources.
Note, prior to 1906, these references will be to the old wooden Government building on the same site.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1872, November 09
Mr Sheath supplied copies of new stamp duties. p.3
Bay of Plenty Times: 1872, November 09
Government considering extending mail service to Tauranga now that Napier–Taupo road is open.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1873, January 18
Mr Sheath instructed to close on Sundays.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1873, March 01
Editorial regarding lack of.
An editorial criticised Tauranga’s inadequate government offices, noting they were cramped, rickety, and ill-suited for officials or the public, having once served as a schoolhouse and later a hospital. It urged the erection of proper new public buildings on government land, warning against delays by red tape and suggesting the old premises could then house immigrants temporarily.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, March 14
Petition several months ago for letter delivery in Tauranga. What happened to it?
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, February 04
Article about new Government Buildings.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1877, March 28
“Tauranga can boast of a most imposing set of public offices ycleped the Government Buildings. Those being erected in Gisborne will not equal them in size or in choice of position; but it is to be hoped that they will not let in so much water; in short, that they will not have so many shingles loose.”
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, April 04
Mr. Kaye from Bennett & Kaye arrived to begin work on Government Buildings. Arrival of immigration agent Sir G.V. Stewart, signs of Tauranga’s growing trade, and the arrival of contractor Mr Kaye to commence the new Government Buildings.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, April 11
Site pegged out between Harington and McLean Streets. Width frontage 108 ft., 60 ft. to Hinton & McLean Streets. Side entrance to each.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, April 15
Erection commenced.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, April 25
Laying of first block.
A ceremony was held to mark the planting of the first block for Tauranga’s new public offices, attended by leading townsmen including Major Roberts, Captain Turner, and Mr A.W. Burrows. Mrs Thomas Wrigley, honoured for her generosity to the community, set the block, declared “Prosperity to this building and to Tauranga,” and christened it with champagne, while a bottle containing coins and a Bay of Plenty Times issue was placed beneath as a time capsule.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, May 30
Editorial – Problems with drainage for foundations.
An 1870s report noted that Tauranga’s new Government Offices, built by Bennett and Kaye, were progressing rapidly with the framework nearly complete, though heavy rains had caused flooding under the foundations and confirmed the need for deep external drainage. Despite these challenges, the prominent hilltop site promised a commanding view from the harbour, and it was proposed that cutting down the hill could both improve drainage and provide soil for forming Harington Street and Square.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, October 16
Tenders will be received at the Public Works Office, Tauranga, for fitting up the Court House in the Government Building. Signed A. C. Turner, District Engineer.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1874, October 21
Advertisement: Church of England, Tauranga. Adjourned meeting called for Saturday 24 October, 7 p.m. at New Government Building.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1880, April 06
Editorial suggesting postal receiving office at Mr Crabbe’s store, Cameron Rd.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1881, March 01
Letter from Visitor saying he was surprised at lack of postal service in Tauranga.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1881, September 17
Letter to Town Board from Postal Dept Wellington, stating that when the Inspector of Post Offices visits Tauranga he will report on the request for a letter carrier.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1881, July 07
New overland mail service between Tauranga and Ōpōtiki is due in Tauranga on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1881, October 17
Suggestion that the mail be dropped off coach at Oropi to save settlers coming in 12 miles for their mail. Mr Davidson of the Oropi Hotel prepared to receive the mail bag.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1881, October 24
Postal service between Tauranga and Te Puke.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1881, November 11
Postal service between Tauranga and Te Puke.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1881, November 24
Inspector of Post Office interviewed re postal delivery in the town. Was not in favour as all business firms were close to Post Office. Mr Rose (Inspector) thought a daily delivery would come some time but at the most a bi-weekly service was all that could be expected.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1881, December 30
Mr Crabbe’s store appointed a receiving office for letters. Box fixed in position. He is also licensed to sell postage stamps, etc.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1882, January 06
Has new post office box at Val Marino been cleared since it opened?
Bay of Plenty Times: 1882, January 10
Quarter Acres box cleared on Saturday. Accounts being paid.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1882, January 14
Letter querying continued non-delivery of mail in Tauranga.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1882, January 18
Postal delivery should start in a few days. Delay due to selected person not accepting the position.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1882, February 02
Mr Wm Walmsley, late Librarian to the Institute, as postman. Delivered letters to the doors. Noticed a lack of knockers on doors, etc.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1882, February 03
Mr J.J. Redmond has taken over the office of postman and was away on his rounds early this morning.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1883, March 17
Our old friend J.J. Redmond is about to retire from the appointment of postman in the town etc. Mr J.J.C. Larke succeeds him as mailman of Tauranga.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1886, December 04
A new receiving box has been erected at Mr G. Gardener’s store on the Strand, in place of the one on Spring Street.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1890, December 05
Strenuous efforts being made to continue mail service between Rotorua & Tauranga.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1890, December 31
Strenuous efforts being made to continue mail service between Rotorua & Tauranga.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1892, October 19
After 22 years as postmaster, J.H. Sheath is retiring.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1892, October 24
Mr Bull of Hokitika new postmaster.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1899, October 06
Capt Norris’ old store, the original post office, is being removed to the suburbs.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1902, July 28
Postmaster E. Northcroft transferred to Blenheim.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1902, October 22
Mr Halliday is postmaster.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1902, November 17
The Government Buildings in Tauranga were destroyed by fire, which spread rapidly and left only chimney stacks by morning. The blaze consumed all council and government offices and their records. Built in 1874 by Bennett & Kaye to designs by Colonial Architect Clayton, the building had been regarded as the finest in the district.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1902, November 19
Temporary Office in Theatre Royal.
Also BOP Times articles on December 5, 8 and 10 of 1902
Council Minute book 2, December 2 of 1902
"Fire destroyed govt buildings, 16 November 1902. Council recrods and minutes destroyed also.
1902, p1, New Offices
1902, p3
1903, p1, 3.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1903, May 08
Temporary Office in Theatre Royal.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1903, July 03
Details of new office to be constructed.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1904, April 22
Removed to corner of Harington Street & The Strand.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1904, November 02
In connection with the relaying of the telegraph line along Cameron Road etc the poles are now being placed in their correct position …
Bay of Plenty Times: 1904, June 24
"New Post Office and Court House for Tauranga"
This early report outlines the revised plans for Tauranga’s new Post Office and Courthouse, designed as a combined structure with a 71-foot frontage, two full storeys, and a prominent tower rising 45 feet with a dome and flagstaff. Built in brick with acetylene gas lighting and Marseilles tile roofing, the building was to house postal services, customs, courts, and government offices, with an impressive elevation intended to be a landmark overlooking the harbour.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1905, July 14
Work progressing on foundations, considerably less space than previous building.
A report noted good progress on the foundations of Tauranga’s new post office, with the building’s outline already visible on the former offices’ site. Though occupying a smaller footprint, its two taller storeys would provide more suitable accommodation for the Postal, Telegraph, Justice, and Lands Departments, but without the surplus space once freely used by the Borough and County Councils.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1906, January 10
Roofing completed, finishing coat of plaster being applied.
The new Tauranga Post Office had its roof completed with red Marseilles tiles, crested ridging, and terracotta finials, while plasterers applied coloured cement finishes. Dark red was used for architectural details and yellow ochre for rough-cast wall surfaces, giving the building a bold and striking appearance.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1906, February 9
Exterior completed; hole for clock face boarded up. Clock expected in June.
The exterior of Tauranga’s new Post Office was almost finished, with workmen focusing on plastering and interior joinery. The clock tower opening was boarded up pending installation of the clock, which was expected to be operational by the end of June.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1906, April 23
"Tauranga Public Buildings"
Reported on the completion of Tauranga’s new brick public building, erected after the old wooden one was destroyed by fire about three and a half years earlier. Built by W.E. Hutchison of Auckland, it was praised as modern and substantial, with two storeys on a concrete foundation, plastered and painted in two tones, lit by acetylene gas, and fitted with offices for postal, telegraph, customs, and public use, including letter-boxes, writing desks, and a large mail-room.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1906, June 29
The Government Departments, under the supervision of Lieutenant-Colonel Roberts and Mr. W. A. Thorn, were removed into the new public building this morning.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1907, December 18
From 1/1/1908 free delivery of telegrams from Post Office to Hunter Street (15th Ave) 2 mile radius.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1909, January 13
Mr C.E. Nicholas, postmaster, Tauranga for nearly 6 years transferred to Stratford. Retired in Trinity Church as lay preacher. Preached at Gate Pā, Te Puna, etc.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1912, June 21
Mail service from Rotorua via Ngawaro is to be three times weekly, not twice.
Council Minute Book 4 (re telephones)
- 1914 P 59: Underground lines – letter P.O.
- P 74: Tender of £114-15/- accepted
- P 90: Contract & Extras
Bay of Plenty Times: 1914, May 18
Postmaster F.J. Robertshaw retiring.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1916, March 11
Town Improvement: Department Buildings
An extensive addition to the Government Buildings at Willow and McLean Streets was almost finished, designed by resident engineer J. Hannah and built by G.R. Lamb & Co. of Auckland. The brick extension, on solid concrete foundations and finished in coloured cement and roughcast plaster, added over 1,600 square feet to the complex, bringing the total floor space to around 10,000 square feet. Key improvements included a large new mail room with direct coach access from Harington and McLean Streets, a relocated telephone exchange, retiring rooms for female staff, and new court witness rooms. The Public Works Department gained a full upper storey with draughting and clerical rooms, a resident engineer’s office, and strong rooms, all lit by electricity. With improved vehicle approaches and a broad new stairway to Willow Street, the expansion was praised as one of Tauranga’s finest public structures, reflecting the government’s intent to provide a permanent and efficient centre for its officials and services.
Catalogue card didn't list source, perhaps an oral interview?
Government Building (Willow Street Wall – c.1935)
Wall on Willow Street erected by Chum Denniston and his father. Stone came from Te Puke quarry. Dyson was engineer, Atkinson second in command. Not tied in; matting was supposed to be planted behind the wall. A lot of stone brought was too small and couldn’t be used. Atkinson should have taken Mr. Denniston to the quarry to choose it. When wall built, post and rail hitching post still outside Post Office. Was Denniston’s first big job after Depression. 9d per square foot rate measurement. Bottom about 3 feet wide, tapers towards top, then steps in.
Council Minute Book 13 (Post Office)
- 1936 P 191,196: Chief Post Office Tga District
- P 218: New Post Office building proposal
Bay of Plenty Times: 1937, November 15
Plans for new building. History of old Government Buildings + fire. Includes photo of site corner Grey/Spring.
Council Minute Book 16
- 1938 P 91: Post Office opening
Bay of Plenty Times: 1938, December 01
Opened.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1938, December 02
Opened.
Council Minute Book 17
- 1939 P 193: New Building
Bay of Plenty Times: 1946, January 20
Tauranga airmail service inaugurated.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1947, January 21
Air service Auckland–Tauranga–Gisborne started.
Photo News No 12 (1963), before it was restored to original colours
Bay of Plenty Times: 1971, September 18
"Chief Post Office status for city"
Tauranga’s Post Office was upgraded to Chief Post Office status on November 1, reflecting the city’s rapid growth and the persistent efforts of local leaders and the Chamber of Commerce to secure improved postal services for the district
Bay of Plenty Times: 1975, March 12
"Chimes Unlikely to Sound Again"
The Bay of Plenty Times reported that the chimes of Tauranga’s old Post Office clock tower, silenced for years due to structural concerns, were unlikely to sound again because the vibration risked further damaging the already fragile tower. While the clock itself continued to run reliably since its 1903 installation, the council considered transferring the mechanism to the District Museum, and long-time clock winder Phil Herewini prepared to end his service when leaving Tauranga in April.
The Bell during restoration work in 1999. Photo NZME-CD014-199909-E2717-98
Bay of Plenty Times: 1977, October 10
Tender let for Post Office line depot and workshop
Bay of Plenty Times: 1975, November 11
"Query on M.O.W building"
Concerns raised in Tauranga City Council about the future of the historic civic building in Willow Street, then occupied by the Ministry of Works. Councillors questioned whether the offices would be moved to Greerton and whether the National Archives would permit the old building to be demolished, with the matter referred to the finance and legal committee and the District Museum for consideration.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1977, May 2
Appointment of Mr E. H. McElhinney as Chief Postmaster
Bay of Plenty Times: 1977, August 25
Greerton move for PO Staff
Bay of Plenty Times: 1977, October 27
Post Office staff oppose( S.I.S. Bill) snooping clauses
Bay of Plenty Times: 1977, November 1
Tauranga bank on computer
Bay of Plenty Times, 7 Mar 1978
Mr E. McElhinney retires after 42 years
Chief Postmaster McElhinney, who began as a message boy in 1936 and later served in WWII, retires at Tauranga.
Bay of Plenty Times, 7 Mar 1978
Bank switches over to computer
Bay of Plenty Times, 8 Mar 1978
Mr C. D. McLeod appointed Chief Postmaster, Tauranga
C. D. McLeod, previously postmaster at Taupō and earlier at Te Puke, Morrinsville, and Feilding, takes charge in Tauranga.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1978, April 5
P.O. cuts back service
Bay of Plenty Times, 15 Mar 1978
Communication with the public is vital — Mr McLeod
New Chief Postmaster McLeod stresses the need for better public information and relations, especially with new services and telephone backlogs.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1980, March 11
Building described as ‘symbolic of region’ at opening.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1980, March 11
Opened by Sir Robert Muldoon.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1982, February 4
Post Office puts stamp on year [Tga centenary].
Bay of Plenty Times: 1980, May 3
Cuts will affect expansion
Bay of Plenty Times: 1980, May 5
Facilities adequate
Bay of Plenty Times: 1980, June 5
City post office land no longer required
Bay of Plenty Times: 1982, March 13
Retires after 44 years’ service with P.O. [Bessieote].
Bay of Plenty Times: 1982, March 31
Saw growth at services [Custodian Houlihan retires].
Te Puke’s new Postmaster — Mr O. C. Sullivan
Bay of Plenty Times, 4 Jan 1983 (handwritten)
After 30 years in the Post Office, including posts in Rarotonga and Christchurch, Owen Sullivan becomes permanent Postmaster at Te Puke.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1983, April 30
“Bringing the world closer.” (Telephones)
Bay of Plenty Times: 1983, May 06
“Change (to STD) costs jobs.” (Telephones)
Bay of Plenty Times: 1983, May 06
“Phone calls will be easier task (for deaf).” (Telephones)
Bay of Plenty Times: 1983, May 07
“Switch to STD goes smoothly.” (Telephones)
Bay of Plenty Times: 1983, May 17
“Booths left alone – farm style at Greerton & Wharf St.” (Telephones)
Two Tauranga Post Office staff retire — Hobbs & Drayton
Bay of Plenty Times, 21 Dec 1983 (handwritten)
Technical officer L. J. W. Hobbs and radio expert R. W. Drayton finish decades of service with the Tauranga Post Office.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1984, March 05
Postmaster [MacGregor] appointed.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1984, May 12
Growth amazes new postmaster [MacGregor].
Bay of Plenty Times: 1984, August 02
School sets pattern for career [Hamaway retires].
Bay of Plenty Times: 1986, March 05
City will get new Post Office.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1986, April 03
Review of Post Office boosts the Bay.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1986, January 28
Major building projects in Tauranga being re-evaluated. Post Office among.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1987, October 22
Shift to 7th Ave.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1988, January 28
Protection for old Post Office.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1988, January 27
Massive protest if building threatened.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1989, January 26
"City rejects purchase offer"
In January 1989 Tauranga City Council rejected a Government Property Services offer to sell the old Post Office in Willow Street for over $1 million, despite public interest and advocacy from the Tauranga Community Arts Council. Councillors argued the price was too high for ratepayers, though Mayor Noel Pope and Cr Ross Harris both stressed the importance of preserving the historic building.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1988, January 27
Massive protest if building threatened.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1989, January 28
"Protection for old PO"
In January 1989, Government Property Services (GPS) warned it could demolish Tauranga’s old Post Office if it failed to sell for its $1.07 million valuation, prompting alarm from councillors and heritage advocates. Mayor Noel Pope vowed the B-classified historic building would not be lost, and Historic Places Trust’s Des Price condemned GPS’s stance while moving to seek ministerial protection.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1989, February 1
"Battle for the old Post Office"
In February 1989 the Bay of Plenty Times reported fierce opposition to Government Property Services’ demand that Tauranga City Council pay $1.07 million for the old Post Office, a building the community considered already theirs. Mayor Noel Pope, councillors Grant Aislabie and Ross Harris, and the Historic Places Trust all vowed to resist demolition threats, framing the fight as a defence of heritage and public rights against government exploitation.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1989, February 15
City groups take up building fight.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1989, March 14
"1990 promises to be positive"
References the old post office with regard to its potential role in the 1990 Treaty of Waitangi commemorations. Councillor Grant Aislabie, post office preservation committee chairman Mr. Cater, and Mr. Tahuparea discussed the building in this context, with Cater emphasising that no official groups had been refused use of it and that many organisations were already planning events there.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1989, March 21
Post Office group hits name snag.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1989, June 16
Old Post Office purchase.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1989, October 13
“Campaigners believe they’ve got Post Office saving licked.”
New Zealand Herald: 1988, August 09
Tauranga Post Office saved by Trust grading.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, June 22
Tauranga Post Office saved by Trust grading.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, June 28
Tauranga Post Office saved by Trust grading.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, June 30
Tauranga Post Office saved by Trust grading.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, July 03
Tauranga Post Office saved by Trust grading.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, August 21
Tauranga Post Office saved by Trust grading.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, August 22
Tauranga Post Office saved by Trust grading.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, September 15
Hands off our old building … Old Post fate awaits reply.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, September 25
Trust staff on case.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, September 26
New move to save building.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, September 28
Mayor seeks gift.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, October 13
Council call for 10,000 … PO demolition objection call.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1990, October 16
PO demolition objection call.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1991, May 28
Grey & Spring Streets: “Tough nut to crack.”
Bay of Plenty Times: 1991, November 25
Funding package on way [upgrade of old PO].
Bay of Plenty Times: 1992, May 21
Willow Street Post Office restoration moves step nearer.
Tauranga District Citizen: 1992, June
“Wanted a new use for old Post Office.”
Bay of Plenty Times: 1993, April 01
Quake proofing to cost $438,000.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1994, September 29
Funding options examined.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1995, June 14
Grey St: Varsity campus idea for old post office.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1995, June 16
Grey St: Trust funds to restore then buy tunnel PO.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1995, June 08
Willow St: Old Post Office on the market.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1995, September 05
Willow St: Facelift soon for old post office.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1995, December 11
Willow St: Test for public’s commitment to building.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1996, June 15
Willow St: Post Office fate delayed yet again.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1996, June 20
Willow St: Street poll support for old post office.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1996, June 24
Willow St: Old post office building coming back to life.
Bay News: 1996, June 26
“No quick move on Post Office.”
Bay of Plenty Times: 1997, July 12
"Decision looming on historic building"
Pressure to decide the fate of the derelict 91-year-old Willow Street Post Office, which had sat empty and earthquake-risk for years despite community hopes it could be reused. Council staff warned strengthening would cost $100,000–$250,000, while heritage advocates such as Jinty Rorke and architect Rod Moyes stressed its architectural value and vowed to resist demolition, calling it one of Tauranga’s last major historic public buildings.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1997, December 12
Willow St: Decision looming on historic building.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1997, December 22
"Old post office goes on sale"
Tauranga District Council plans to end years of stagnation by putting the Willow Street Post Office on the market through its property arm, Property Development Services Ltd. Upgrades of around $1 million were needed to meet earthquake and building standards, but any sale would require preserving the façade, complying with heritage and Treaty obligations, and negotiating with interested parties including iwi, Historic Places Trust, and local business groups.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1997, December 23
"Reporting back clause dropped"
In December 1997 Tauranga District Council dropped a reporting-back clause on the disposal of the Willow Street Post Office, allowing its property arm PDS to seek expressions of interest and negotiate with a preferred party. While Chief Executive Paula Thompson raised concerns about delegated authority, Mayor Noel Pope and most councillors supported the move to avoid delays, though opinions remained divided on whether the historic building should be preserved exactly as it stood or adapted for modern use.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1998, April 3
"Old Post Office on the markey"
In April 1998 Tauranga’s former Post Office on Willow Street was put on the market after seven years of stagnation, with Property Development Services Ltd seeking national “expressions of interest.” Conditions of sale required preserving the building’s façade, meeting Historic Places Trust and Treaty of Waitangi obligations, and potential buyers faced up to $1 million in upgrade costs, though the council hoped for strong interest given the site’s heritage and redevelopment potential.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1998, July 7
"$1.5m restoration for old post office"
In March 1998 Tauranga District Council approved the sale of the old Post Office on Willow Street to Grasshopper Properties Ltd, which committed $1.5 million to restore the Edwardian baroque landmark. The agreement required strengthening, modern services, and earthquake repairs, with council leaders including Mayor Noel Pope hailing it as the best chance in decades to secure the building’s future as a preserved heritage site.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1998, September 13
Willow St: Post Office repair a mammoth task.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1998, November 28
Willow St: Duo in big step on historic interior.
Positively Tga: 1999, March
Willow St: Historic building gets second life.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, May 20
Willow St: Old building plastered as renovations continue.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, July 14
In 1999, during renovations of Tauranga’s old Post Office on Willow Street, someone humorously inserted the word Arsenal” into the Edward Rex crest above the entrance. This was temporary, as the restoration was to reinstate the original royal motto “honi soit qui mal y pense” (“evil to him who evil thinks”).
Bay of Plenty Times: 1998, August 22
"Old post office building coming back to life"
It has been announced that Grasshopper Properties would fully refurbish Tauranga’s old Post Office, restoring its original face, reinstating doorways, and reconditioning historic interiors such as the courtroom. Plans included earthquake strengthening, modern safety upgrades, and new public facilities like a display room of historic memorabilia, while the forecourt would feature a landscaped “millennium space” and commemorative plaque.
"Old post office building coming back to life"
It has been announced that Grasshopper Properties would fully refurbish Tauranga’s old Post Office, restoring its original face, reinstating doorways, and reconditioning historic interiors such as the courtroom. Plans included earthquake strengthening, modern safety upgrades, and new public facilities like a display room of historic memorabilia, while the forecourt would feature a landscaped “millennium space” and commemorative plaque.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1998, September 17
"Post Office repair a mammoth job"
In September 1998 the public was allowed inside Tauranga’s old Post Office for the first time in over a decade, as Grasshopper Properties prepared its $1.5 million restoration under a sale agreement with the council. Engineer Richard Arnold described the building as structurally sound but in disrepair, with peeling paint and decayed fittings, requiring extensive strengthening, new concrete floors, and restoration of historic features such as the courtroom ceiling, staircase, strongroom, and original doors.
"Post Office repair a mammoth job"
In September 1998 the public was allowed inside Tauranga’s old Post Office for the first time in over a decade, as Grasshopper Properties prepared its $1.5 million restoration under a sale agreement with the council. Engineer Richard Arnold described the building as structurally sound but in disrepair, with peeling paint and decayed fittings, requiring extensive strengthening, new concrete floors, and restoration of historic features such as the courtroom ceiling, staircase, strongroom, and original doors.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1998, November 28
"Duo in big strip on historic interior"
"Duo in big strip on historic interior"
In January 1999 workers began carefully stripping architraves, skirting boards, doors, and the grand staircase from Tauranga’s 95-year-old Post Office so they could be restored and reused in the $1.7 million refurbishment by Grasshopper Holdings. Once the salvage was complete, contractors Todd and Pollock planned to demolish the interior walls, strengthen the structure, and prepare for refurbishment to begin by February.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, January 13
"New interior for old Post Office"
"New interior for old Post Office"
Positively Tga: 1999, March
Willow St: Historic building gets second life.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, May 20
Willow St: Old building plastered as renovations continue.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, July 14
Willow Street: Photograph at event.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, August 2
"Sprucing up"
In August 1999 Tauranga’s 94-year-old Willow Street Post Office was encased in scaffolding as part of a $1.5 million restoration by Grasshopper Properties. The work included a new colour scheme and refurbishment for its future use as an office block, with the building recognised as a Historic Places Trust class one example of Edwardian baroque.
"Sprucing up"
In August 1999 Tauranga’s 94-year-old Willow Street Post Office was encased in scaffolding as part of a $1.5 million restoration by Grasshopper Properties. The work included a new colour scheme and refurbishment for its future use as an office block, with the building recognised as a Historic Places Trust class one example of Edwardian baroque.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, May 20
"Old building plastered as renovations continue"
In September 1999 the Bay of Plenty Times reported that Tauranga’s 94-year-old Willow Street Post Office had entered a new phase of its $1.5 million restoration, with contractors plastering interior walls after major structural strengthening. Much of the interior had been gutted, steel mesh and girders installed, and the next stage involved finishing plaster and reinstating original features such as stairs, windows, skirtings, and architraves.
"Old building plastered as renovations continue"
In September 1999 the Bay of Plenty Times reported that Tauranga’s 94-year-old Willow Street Post Office had entered a new phase of its $1.5 million restoration, with contractors plastering interior walls after major structural strengthening. Much of the interior had been gutted, steel mesh and girders installed, and the next stage involved finishing plaster and reinstating original features such as stairs, windows, skirtings, and architraves.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, October 20
"Time capsules buried"
In October 1999, as renovations of Tauranga’s old Post Office neared completion, two time capsules were buried on site by Mayor Noel Pope, Bay of Plenty Times editor Louis Pierard, and Grasshopper Properties director Bruce Honeybone. The capsules, containing photographs, newspapers, money, and memorabilia, are set to be opened in 2099—100 years after the refurbished offices officially reopened.

Bell reinstalled during 1999 renovations. Photo NZME-CD014-199909-E2717-99
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, October 30
"Time capsules buried"
In October 1999, as renovations of Tauranga’s old Post Office neared completion, two time capsules were buried on site by Mayor Noel Pope, Bay of Plenty Times editor Louis Pierard, and Grasshopper Properties director Bruce Honeybone. The capsules, containing photographs, newspapers, money, and memorabilia, are set to be opened in 2099—100 years after the refurbished offices officially reopened.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, October 21
"Ring of change for restored tower bell"
In October 1999 the long-lost 150kg brass bell from Tauranga’s Willow Street Post Office was rediscovered and reinstated as part of the building’s $1.5 million restoration. Originally cast in 1906, the bell had been removed in 1959 after disrupting court proceedings, but was now returned to the tower and set to chime again by the building’s official reopening on October 29. [Note this information is inaccurate]
"Ring of change for restored tower bell"
In October 1999 the long-lost 150kg brass bell from Tauranga’s Willow Street Post Office was rediscovered and reinstated as part of the building’s $1.5 million restoration. Originally cast in 1906, the bell had been removed in 1959 after disrupting court proceedings, but was now returned to the tower and set to chime again by the building’s official reopening on October 29. [Note this information is inaccurate]
Bell reinstalled during 1999 renovations. Photo NZME-CD014-199909-E2717-99
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, October 27
Willow St: “The old Tauranga Post Office.” Supplement.
Willow St: “The old Tauranga Post Office.” Supplement.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, October 30
Accompanying photo of opening
Reopened after a $1.7 million restoration, with Mayor Noel Pope and business leaders welcoming it as a landmark for the city’s economic and community life. The building’s ground floor was set to house the Chamber of Commerce, Export Institute, and Economic Development Agency, while Grasshopper Properties and Fraser Management Services would occupy the top floor, marking the site’s new role as a hub of business and investment.
Accompanying photo of opening
Reopened after a $1.7 million restoration, with Mayor Noel Pope and business leaders welcoming it as a landmark for the city’s economic and community life. The building’s ground floor was set to house the Chamber of Commerce, Export Institute, and Economic Development Agency, while Grasshopper Properties and Fraser Management Services would occupy the top floor, marking the site’s new role as a hub of business and investment.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, October 30
"Ringing changes at the Post Office"
In October 1999 the reopening of Tauranga’s old Post Office after a $1.7 million restoration brought back memories for Jim Webb, who had worked there as a telephone operator from 1938 to 1942. Webb recalled the wartime challenges of managing switchboards in cramped conditions, handling hundreds of calls daily, and the unique routines of Tauranga’s early telephone exchange, highlighting the building’s deep community history.
In October 1999 the reopening of Tauranga’s old Post Office after a $1.7 million restoration brought back memories for Jim Webb, who had worked there as a telephone operator from 1938 to 1942. Webb recalled the wartime challenges of managing switchboards in cramped conditions, handling hundreds of calls daily, and the unique routines of Tauranga’s early telephone exchange, highlighting the building’s deep community history.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, November 13
Willow St: New interior to old Post Office.
Bay of Plenty Times: 1999, December 23
Willow St: KeyRing back clause dropped.
Bay of Plenty Times 2001 (Business Extra)
Historic Post Office to be Sold
Grasshopper Properties restored the historic Old Tauranga Post Office and is now selling it for $5 million after extensive renovations to preserve its architectural character and make it earthquake-proof.
Tauranga City Libraries Staff - Harley Couper, Postal Service and postal buildings: moments in history. Pae Korokī, accessed 18/03/2026, https://paekoroki.tauranga.govt.nz/nodes/view/118614




