SummaryA builder, carpenter, miner, timberyard owner.
Born in Jersey, he arrived in New Zealand via Australia in 1855.
A long time member of the Tauranga Town Board, he was elected a member of the first Borough Council, retiring in 1887.
Member of the Tauranga School Committee.
He married Anne Lundon, sister of Tauranga's David Lundon in Auckland in 1856.
His residence was Quarter Acres, Cameron Road.
He joined other residents to finance and build the Old Town Wharf for the people of Tauranga.
He built the following Tauranga buildings:
The Bank of New Zealand
Church of England
Temperance Hall (later the Opera House)
Belle Vue House
Tauranga Club
Crabbes Store
Presbyterian Manse
Commercial Hotel
Topcroft
He died in Tauranga on 2 August 1924, aged 88, survived by three children.
SourcesDeath Notice - Mr John Conway » Auckland Weekly News, 7 August 1924Obituary Mr John Conway » Bay of Plenty Times, 4 August 1924.Death Notice - Anne Conway nee Lundon » Bay of Plenty Times, 6 July 1896.Death Notice - William Edward » Bay of Plenty Times, 21 February 1947.Death Notice - Jean Road Conway » Bay of Plenty Times, 6 December 1947.
Kaitiakitanga StatementWe ask that, in addition to normal copyright and privacy considerations, users of our heritage resources uphold the mana and dignity of the people, communities and places depicted within.CopyrightTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City LibrariesLicenseCC BY 4.0AcknowledgementTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City Libraries, Conway, John, 1838-1924 (Person)