St Paul’s Presbyterian Church, Katikati, 1908- (Place)
SummarySt Paul’s Presbyterian Church, Katikati. Presbyterian congregation formed in 1876 after services held by Rev David Bruce in the home of Andrew Wilson. Rev John Mark became first minister; officially ordained by Auckland Presbytery on 4 October 1876. Early services used Wilson’s home, Waitekohe School, Katikati School and the Orange Hall untill the church itself was built in 1908.
1908: first purpose-built St Paul’s Presbyterian Church erected on the present site, corner of Main Road and Mulgan Street. Foundation stone laid 16 April 1908; first service/opening day 2 August 1908.
During construction the frame and foundation stone were shifted to the corner section so the building aligned with Mulgan Street.
1925: second manse built beside the church.
1926 Electric lights installed.
1933: church hall completed.
1941: supper-room added.
1956: extended/second church hall opened.
Later 1950s: church foundations replaced with concrete blocks; interior renovated.
1972: third manse built in Jocelyn Street; old manse renamed Youth Centre.
2005: major alterations produced the present contemporary church building.
This gathering of settlers is thought to have been for the ceremony to mark the laying of the foundation stone for the Katikati St Paul's Presbyterian Church on April 16, 1908.
Western Bay of Plenty District Libraries Recollect Site: https://westernbay.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/868
Usage
Kaitiakitanga StatementWe ask that, in addition to normal copyright and privacy considerations, users of our heritage resources uphold the mana and dignity of the people, communities and places depicted within.CopyrightTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City LibrariesLicenseCC BY 4.0AcknowledgementTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City Libraries, St Paul’s Presbyterian Church, Katikati, 1908- (Place)