SummaryTurners (Tauranga) Ltd was established in 1954 to provide a central fruit and vegetable market for Tauranga and the Bay of Plenty. Formed by Turners and Growers Ltd of Auckland and Turners and Fows Ltd of Hamilton, the company was incorporated as Turners Growers and Fows Ltd and held its first produce auction in Tauranga on 16 August 1954.
The company opened new premises on Cameron Road in 1956 and expanded its operations to include auctioneering, produce transport, cool storage, and prepacking services. In 1969, it entered the kiwifruit export industry and, in 1973, constructed specialised cool stores to support this growing sector.
Renamed Turners (Tauranga) Ltd in 1965, the company had, by 1979, grown to occupy approximately half a hectare at the corner of Cameron Road and 10th Avenue. It handled consignments from more than 1,000 growers throughout New Zealand.
The company remained registered until 1 June 1995, when it was removed from the New Zealand Companies Register.SourcesNew Zealand Companies RegisterTurners (Tauranga) Ltd Silver Jubilee
Usage
Kaitiakitanga StatementWe ask that, in addition to normal copyright and privacy considerations, users of our heritage resources uphold the mana and dignity of the people, communities and places depicted within.CopyrightTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City LibrariesLicenseCC BY 4.0AcknowledgementTe Ao Mārama - Tauranga City Libraries, Turners (Tauranga) Ltd, 1954–1995 (Organisation)