Haua, Charles William 1903-1984, (Person)
Charlie was a keen rugby player for Tauranga District High School, then Cadets and was a Tauranga and Bay of Plenty representative. He was also a keen hockey player and rower and won the New Zealand double sculls championship in 1931 with friend Bill Turner. Charlie was a life member of the Tauranga Rowing Club, Rugby Association and the Athletic Club.
He followed in the footsteps of his father James, as a blacksmith. James Haua originally worked in a shop in Devonport Road near the Star Hotel, with business partner William Parker.
Charlie Haua learnt his trade with other blacksmiths, Mr C. F. Washer in Willow Street and Sam Snowden in Spring Street. In 1924 the Hauas', father and son, were the blacksmiths at the McLarens Falls power station, when it was being built.
Part of his shop was set up at the Tauranga Museum when it was on Hamilton Street and was later shifted to the Tauranga Historic Village and District Museum, which opened in Seventeenth Avenue in 1975. Charlie gave hundreds of volunteer hours to entertaining and educating visitors. In 1976 he was awarded the British Empire Medal for his services to the community and later received an O.B.E.
See also: Rolfe Family
SourcesCharles Haua Obituary » Historical Review, November 1984, v. 32, no.2, p 131.Charles W. Haua, B.E.M. by Joan Mirrielees,Journal of Historical Society, May 1978, Volume 61:p8-9James Haua, Obituary - Bay of Plenty Times, 26 January 1931, p2.Papers of Charles Haua - Ms 81Charlie Haua - A Local Legend cited in Taonga Tū websiteMary Haua Obituary, Bay of Plenty Times, 24 November 1938





