Haua Family, moments in history
Before Pae Korokī and Papers Past, the New Zealand Room librarians would note topics of interest in an alphabetized card catalogue, this is their selection of Charles Haua and the extended Haua whanau mentions in the Bay of Plenty Times and other sources.
Chronological listing:
1800s
Haua & Parker have rented A. Gilmore's premises in Devonport Rd, Bay of Plenty Times, 24 April 1891.
Haua & Parker advise that the late owner of the Ulster Smith Works objects to their use of the name Ulster, so will be changed to Tga Smith & Carriage Works. Bay of Plenty Times, 28 August 1891.
1900s
Death of Mr Andrew Haua. Death notice, Bay of Plenty Times, 28 June 1909. Funeral notice by J. B. Chappell, Undertaker. Bay of Plenty Times, 28 June 1909 and Funeral notice by E. Chadban, Sec. Tauranga Rugby Union W. P Sommerville, Sec. Star Football Club. Bay of Plenty Times, 28 June 1909.
Fatality at Katikati. Mr Andrew Haua drowned. Bay of Plenty Times, 28 June 1909, p2 c9.
1910s
Death of Mrs Euphemia (Phoebe) Meehan (nee Haua). Death notice x 2. Bay of Plenty Times, 26 June 1911. See below.
1930s
Death of Mr. James Haua. The East Coast Guardian. 30 January, 1931. See staff to view article.
Obituary of Mr. James Haua. The Opotiki Herald. 27 January, 1931. See below.
1950s
Clang of his hammer calls a new generation. Includes photo of C. Haua, Eric Beaumont and Brian Scantlebury. Bay of Plenty Times, December 1959.
1960s
Veteran wheelwrights can still change iron tyres. Bay of Plenty Times, December 1961?
Do you remember... Bay of Plenty Times, 19 May 1967.
Blacksmith to break long business link with city. Bay of Plenty Times 6 March 1968, p 1.
City man would like smithy preserved. Bay of Plenty Times, 19 April 1968, p 5.
Era ends with retirement of city's last smithy. Bay of Plenty Times, 29 March 1969.
Old-time Blacksmith closes door on relics of past. New Zealand Herald, 29 March 1969.
Blacksmith's anvil to ring again. New Zealand Herald, 11 July 1969.
Last run for Smithy. Bay of Plenty Times, 12 July 1969.
Contents of old smith recorded. Bay of Plenty Times, 14 July 1969
Smithy shop demolition. Bay of Plenty Times, 28 July 1969.
Historical society demolishes building. Bay of Plenty Times, 4 August 1969.
Few blacksmiths work at dying trade. n.d. See staff to view article.
Miniature smithy on display at Mount. Bay of Plenty Times, 20 September 1969.
A manual engine and 10 bearded men. Bay of Plenty Times? Undated. See staff to view article.
1970s
Work going well on smithy. Bay of Plenty Times, 28 July 1970, p 9.
Cart tyre shrinker revives memories. Bay of Plenty Times, 28 July 1970.
Keeps the smithy fires going. Bay of Plenty Times, 8 O'Clock, 19 December 1970, p 14. See staff to view article.
Blacksmith's hammer rings nostalgically. Includes photo of C. Haua and Mrs C. A. Jones. Bay of Plenty Times, 13 April 1971.
24 December 1975 Museum to be open over holidays. Bay of Plenty Times, 22 May 1971.
Lass was the perfect lady as her shoes were fitted. Includes Joe Honeyfield. Bay of Plenty Times, 22 May 1971.
Record 800 at museum. Bay of Plenty Times, nd. See staff to view article.
Photo of Charles Haua and Alf Baikie. Bay of Plenty Times, 21 May 1971.
Museum to be open over holidays. Includes photo of C. Haua and L. C. Sinton. Bay of Plenty Times, 22 May 1971.
Blacksmith's Wedding Anniversary. Mr and Mrs C. Haua 40th wedding anniversary. Bay of Plenty Times, August 1973.
Blacksmith modest about award. B. E. M. Bay of Plenty Times, 12 May 1976.
1980s
50 years of marriage celebrated. Bay of Plenty Times, 17 August 1984.
1990s





